Self-Introduction

 Subject: Self-Introduction


Dear Professor Brad,


I am Clarissa, a first-year student currently enrolled in your class for communication and critical thinking. Before joining SIT's Robotic Systems, I was a student from Temasek Polytechnic, studying Product and Industrial Design.


I have always had an interest in engineering; it was something I always found intriguing. I believe my dad had a minor influence on me since he was a car mechanic. Looking back, watching my dad bring something 'back to life' was always amazing; it led me to think that I could do the same or probably even more. 


My interest first brewed in secondary school upon being introduced to Design & Technology. The idea of personal creation coming to 'life' got me excited. I later graduated and proceeded to ITE, where I understood engineering slightly more in-depth and received my Nitec certificate for Electronics & Engineering. Moving on, I took a small leap towards design in polytechnic to learn how to make my creation. Fast forward to today; I'm in Robotics Systems, hoping one day a product of mine will be up on the shelves.


I suppose my main strength in communication is not afraid of questioning.  In a small group project, if decisions are made that I don't understand or agree with, I would question to clarify my doubts or input my suggestions. However, my weakness would be my confidence with strangers or larger groups. I don't do well in vocalizing in front of peers that I don't know well, and I tend to get shivers during presentations or face new people.


I would say a unique skill of mine is determination. It has brought me to where I am today, through the doubts of friends and family members on my decisions. I hope that through this module, I can gain more confidence in projecting myself towards others and improve the way I convey my ideas to others to reduce miscommunications and misunderstandings.


Sincerely,

Clarissa Ng

Edited: 4/10/21


Comments

  1. At a glance this looks very interesting, Clarissa. Thanks for sharing.

    I'll give more comments once your blogging buddies have done so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like the structure of your first sentence in the third paragraph is slightly off. Might have to do with the choice of tense used with the word 'introduce'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Clarissa,

    Thank you for your submission. It’s a pleasure to read this clear, concise and yet detailed letter.

    I’m happy to learn, for example, how you developed an interest in engineering by watching your father fix cars. It's fascinating that you were able to connect his work and the design and production process. (I'd guess now he is very proud of you.)

    You have also explained your strength and weakness in communication well and your immediate goals. For one thing, I can say for certain you will have a chance to work on developing your confidence this term.

    A minor language issues includes the following:

    -- verb tense
    My interest first brewed in secondary school upon introducing to Design & Technology. > ? (Daniel mentioned this.)

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts